Good friends and a cheese platter * Wednesday Night Supper Club Blog
308
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-308,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,select-theme-ver-3.4,menu-animation-underline,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.12.1,vc_responsive

Good friends and a cheese platter

And so it was that the inaugural Wednesday Night Supper Club came to pass. Minor details such as the day was actually a Sunday and not even at my house were overlooked. My backyard is currently undergoing renovations for future Supper Club events and a friend very kindly offered her pool deck.

Nothing says “Summer” and “Relax” like a cheese platter with your girlfriends on a deck. So much so, that we made 3 of the suckers 🙂 – we had hard cheese, soft cheese, goat cheese, blue cheese and to ramp up the hipster factor, truffle flavoured cheese. Wow we really like cheese!! It wasn’t ALL cheese as we added crackers and crudités for a bit of crunch.

It was a lovely warm day, sun was glistening on the water and a chilled Savvy B in the glass. The four of us had met via a Facebook group doing the Make It Look Easy course and formed a close bond. Three of us had met in person but the fourth lady had flown over from Melbourne especially to meet us all IRL.

Talk turned to how did each of us know we were kindred spirits and how did we pick that up being on the line. There was mention of Facebook stalking (guilty of that one – although generally reserved for the ex-husband), peeking at photos, watching conversations going on in the group and checking what other groups people belonged to.

I asked the question “Why was it OK to meet random people you’ve talked to on social media but you wouldn’t let your kid do it?” The general consensus was that because we’d been round the block a couple of times, we felt that we had a healthy cynicism to FB profiles and could get a vibe when something was off. We’ve all had messages lob into the “other” mailbox from randoms which you would never reply to and friend requests from creepy people.

Our little group of 4 talked the afternoon away and tears did flow on occasion as we talked about topics ranging from death of parents and adoption, to the light such as was that shade of green called moss, sage or pine? Only boring logistics like plane flights and morning school runs concluded the afternoon otherwise we would still be there now. Such a great day and hopefully we can recreate it sometime in the near future.

Have you ever met up with Facebook friends that you’d not met in person before? This was my second time (but that’s another story complete with four legged furry friends) and both times have been awesome experiences. Was your meeting a positive experience or have you got a nightmare story to share? Please feel free to comment.

14 Comments
  • Annette

December 20, 2016 at 12:51 Reply

That was some good cheese!

It was so fantastic to sit with you lovely ladies and talk about all the things!!

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

• Michelle Boyd

December 21, 2016 at 04:52 Reply

It’s only goat cheese that you go “Mmm that was bad cheese” – especially with the ash

• Kim

December 20, 2016 at 16:40 Reply

I have met up with a cyber friend. In the old Telstra Big Blog days. I was discussing accomodation in Cairns and my “friend” Cindy offered to check out an apartment hotel for me before we booked.

We had been chatting for a while, I loved her cocktail photos (she is an accomplished artist and also a great photographer). Her blog is stunning. We met for cocktails then they visited for more drinks on our balcony before we left. It was like an old “rea’ friend.

Then came Facebook and we keep an eye on each other now that way. And, she still has a stunning blog, full of artwork and naughty cats.

• Michelle Boyd

December 21, 2016 at 04:53 Reply

Oh I remember your Telstra Big Blog way back when. Are you going to do another one?

• joannespeirs

December 20, 2016 at 22:54 Reply

What a great first blog. It sounds like your new friends are pretty awesome too x

• Melissa

December 20, 2016 at 23:11 Reply

I think as adults, mostly, we make better, more informed choices. Like say, cheese for dinner! 😀

• Michelle Boyd

December 21, 2016 at 04:55 Reply

Everything just tastes better with cheese and wine. Have you seen the pictures of a wreath made of bread rolls with a melter Brie in the middle?

• Jo williams

December 21, 2016 at 04:00 Reply

I have 2 groups of friends I have met online – my IVF friends from all over Australia and my sewing friends also from around the country – and I have even flown interstate and stayed with people I had only met online through my IVF group , 2 of my best friends are through these girls,1 I have not yet met in person. But love her dearly. Without these cyber friends I wouldn’t have survived some of the darkest days of trying to conceive, IVF and miscarriages , and to share in the birth of babies that are medical miracles , we have loved and lost together , supported and encouraged , these are some of the most beautiful ladies I have known . And through a mutual love of seeing I have met many wonderful ladies again all over Australia – even making sure I stopped in gympie to meet one in person on our road trip to Qld.

• Michelle Boyd

December 21, 2016 at 04:56 Reply

They sound like great women and a big support. What did we ever do without Facebook?

• Marilyn Scholz

December 21, 2016 at 22:53 Reply

What an awesome time we had together, we will be real life friends forever, I feel! Fantastic first time blog post, Michelle, there will be no stopping you now! So much love and good luck for you and your new supper club! ❤

• Michelle Boyd

December 22, 2016 at 05:21 Reply

Aww thanks Maz for all your encouragement in the last couple of months setting this up

• Child safety gates for pools

April 4, 2017 at 15:36 Reply

Ꭼxists somethіng ᥱlse our company can սse to aҝe the pressure
    off from the joints?

• Gabriel

November 19, 2017 at 16:37 Reply

Hey all! Great report! I prefer the method that you reviewed Good friends and a cheese platter * Wednesday Night
    Supper Club Blog. Fine! It is now amongst definitely
    the web-sites! This will be a huge satisfy to read positions brought on by kind of large artice writer .

I always decided to now have this type of perfect ability as a copywriter nevertheless
    i am awful on the internet .
    Since i don’t know regardless of if It was not respectable have to cope with cures without
    the online shop Gabriel. The group to your web blog enables
    really good testimonials of different classifieds composition treatments so that you can help of us refrain from
    using swindle and reveal easiest agencies